You're not alone if you need help to turn your website visitors into valuable leads. According to a study by Econsultancy, only 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates. This does not mean you should spend a lot of money on a tool (or a person) to help you fix your leaky funnel. Here are 15 proven strategies to help you increase lead conversions on your website.
1. Craft Compelling Landing Pages
2. Implement A/B Testing
Some elements you may want to test:
- All of your site’s CTAs (calls to action)
- Your site’s background color or mode (dark mode vs. light mode)
- The colors of your page elements
- Your images
- Content and its structure on your site
- Any on-page elements requiring user interaction
3. Optimize Page Load Speed
- Limit HTTP requests
- Consider using a Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Optimize image sizes
- Reduce redirects
- Minimize Time to First Byte
- Pre-load content with caching
- Avoid 404s
- Reduce the number of plugins
- Minimize the number of fonts
- Add expires headers
4. Use Exit-Intent Pop-ups
- Keep visitors on your site for more extended periods
- Increase conversions
- Decrease cart abandonment rates
- Grow your email subscriber list
5. Leverage Social Proof
In psychology, it is known as the bandwagon effect, the cognitive bias of doing what everyone else does. In lead conversion, it can translate to many things, like:
- Photos and testimonials from customers
- Company names and logos, particularly from recognizable and well-respected brands
- Customer case studies
- Ratings or feedback from customers
- Reviews on third-party sites such as Yelp or Google
- Seals of approval from well-respected organizations
- Number of followers on social media platforms
- Sharing buttons with share counts and like counts
- Download and purchase counts
- Listing the number of customers
- Celebrity endorsements and shoutouts from influencers
- Testimonials from industry experts and expert social proof
6. Invest in High-Quality Content
The trend these days is toward video content. According to The State of Video Marketing 2022 by Wyzowl, video has helped 86% of marketers generate more leads. You can create tutorials and advice videos on YouTube, short-form explainers on TikTok, or in-line videos to be used on your landing pages or even inserted into your blog posts.
7. Optimize for Mobile
- Use click-to-call (or text) links.
- Avoid pop-ups at all costs (but if you must -- like for cookie consent -- ensure your popups are optimized for the mobile user experience).
- Compress images -- and content! While reducing the size of images improves load speed, reducing the volume of the words on your page will improve your user's sanity.
8. Personalize User Experience
Personalization reduces friction from your flywheel and simplifies the user journey by presenting options and information directly relevant to their needs. This reduces the cognitive load (and decision fatigue) associated with searching for relevant content or products, making it easier for users to convert.
Personalization creates a more engaging and interactive user experience. When users feel that a website understands their needs and preferences, they are likelier to spend more time on the site, explore additional pages, and engage with its features. Personalization can enhance trust by showing that you value and understand your users. When users receive personalized recommendations or content, they are more likely to trust your brand and feel that their interactions with your website are tailored to their needs.
9. Simplify Forms
- Asking for age reduces the conversion rate by 3%
- Asking for a phone number reduces the conversion rate by 5%
- Asking for city and state reduces conversion rate by 2%
- Asking for street address reduces the conversion rate by 4%
When Expedia simplified its forms by eliminating only ONE field (company name), the resulting conversion rate increase resulted in $12 million in additional profits.
10. Create Urgency and Scarcity
Urgency and scarcity are psychological principles that can be leveraged to encourage website visitors to take action and convert into leads or customers. Here's an explanation of the psychology behind these concepts:
Urgency involves creating a sense of immediate importance or time pressure. It implies that an opportunity or benefit is only available for a limited time, and if the user doesn't act quickly, they may miss out. Urgency taps into our natural instincts for survival and the fear of missing out (FOMO). When people perceive something as urgent, their brain's "fight or flight" response can kick in. For example, phrases like "Act now" or countdown timers on a website can create a sense of urgency. People are more likely to convert when they believe they must make a decision promptly.
11. Provide Live Chat Support
- Immediate Assistance: Live chat allows website visitors to get immediate answers to their questions or assistance with their concerns. This quick response can prevent potential customers from leaving the site out of frustration or confusion, increasing the chances of conversion.
- Personalized Support: Live chat enables real-time, one-on-one interactions. Customer support agents can provide personalized assistance, product recommendations, or solutions tailored to each visitor's specific needs and preferences. This personal touch can enhance the customer experience and build trust.
- Real-Time Problem Solving: If visitors encounter an issue or have a question, they can resolve it instantly through live chat. This can prevent potential customers from deferring their decision to a later time or abandoning the task they set out to do.
- Building Trust: Knowing that there is a real person available for assistance can instill confidence in visitors. It demonstrates that the business is attentive to customer needs and is committed to providing excellent service, which can build trust and encourage conversions.